Pickling apple cucumbers is one of the best ways to preserve them, and it means that you can enjoy them for many weeks or months to come. You can also freeze sliced apple cucumbers to preserve them, but these will need to be added blended into recipes as they won’t be crisp when they’re defrosted.
Here are some different methods and recipes that you can use to pickle and preserve apple cucumbers.
Pickled Apple Cucumber
For this method, you’re going to need 4 apple cucumbers, 1 shallot, ¾ cup apple cider vinegar, ¼ cup of water, 1 teaspoon of pure sea salt, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoon of black pepper and 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard seeds.
Here’s what to do to make these delicious pickled apple cucumbers:
- Slice the apple cucumbers into ½-inch thick rounds (no need to peel first)
- Pack the cucumber slices into clean jars and set aside
- Mix together the sliced shallot, the apple cider vinegar, the water, the salt, the sugar, the black pepper, and the mustard seeds in a pot or saucepan
- Place this on the stovetop and bring it to a boil
- Once boiling, turn the heat down and let the pickling liquid simmer for around 30 seconds
- Pour this liquid over the sliced apple cucumbers in the jars
- Seal the jars tightly
- Allow your jars of apple cucumber to cool to room temperature
- Once cooled, place the jars of pickled cucumbers into the fridge
You should leave your pickled apple cucumber in the fridge untouched for at least 24 hours before you open a jar to taste your scrumptious pickles.
These pickled apple cucumbers will keep well in the fridge for around two weeks. Therefore, if you don’t think you’ll be able to consume them in that time, give a jar or two to a friend or neighbor. They’re sure to be absolutely delighted with your thoughtful and generous gift.
Apple Cucumber With Dill
Here’s another simple recipe to make delicious pickled apple cucumbers. For this method, you want around 6 apple cucumbers, 2 brown onions, 2 teaspoons of pure sea salt, ¾ cup of sugar, 3 cups of white vinegar, 1 teaspoon of yellow mustard seeds, 5 teaspoons of currants, ¼ of red capsicum and a nice bunch of fresh dill.
Here’s what to do to make these pickled apple cucumbers:
- Peel the cucumbers
- Slice your apple cucumbers into ½-inch thick rounds
- Peel the onions and slice them thinly
- Using a large glass or ceramic bowl, layer the cucumbers with the onions
- Sprinkle each layer lightly with salt
- Cover the bowl with its lid or a tea towel and let it sit overnight
- The next day, rinse the cucumber and onion mixture with cold water and drain
- Take the capsicum and cut it into long and thin strips
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, and mustard seeds in a pot or saucepan
- Place the pot on the stove and bring it to the boil
- Reduce to simmer and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Turn down the heat to low to keep the mixture hot while you’re preparing the jars of cucumbers
- Pack your apple cucumbers, and onions into clean jars
- To each jar, add a couple of sprigs of dill, a teaspoon of currants, and a few of the capsicum strips
- Pour the hot pickling liquid into each jar
- Seal the jars tightly and let them cool
- When the jars have cooled sufficiently, you can store your pickled apple cucumbers in a cool, dry spot such as your pantry or store cupboard